Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chick Chick Chicken


Yeah, chicken week.

This week I thought I would tackle chicken. Since I'm using the crock pot I may to a second batch to night. I pulled out both of my slow cookers. The first one I inherited from my Grandma. I have no idea how old it is, but it still works great and it is nice to have something from Grandma in my kitchen.
I filled it with frozen chicken breast, added about a cup of water and sprinkled salt, pepper and just a bit of garlic. Turned in on low and moved on. (Oh, how I love the ease of slow cookers!)



Next for the whole chicken. Honestly I would be filling my second pot with more chicken breast if my kiddos hadn't requested a whole chicken yesterday. They think of a meal with a whole chicken as a science lesson-dissecting the bird and asking about what each bone is and it's purpose in the body. Daddy started this so who am I to end it. They love it, so I'm humoring them...gotta foster that love of learning

This pot isn't so special, but it is bigger and easier to clean...and it has a timed setting...newer.



Ok, take the chicken out and place foil balls in the bottom to hold the chicken out of the drippings.



Rinse chicken and pull out the bag of insides. I have bought chicken (same brand) that didn't have that package, so if they aren't in there don't flip (someone had to tell me that). I don't cook these, but there are those who do...



Place on top of the foil balls. I spread a little butter on and sprinkle salt, pepper, and a tad of paprika (I would use more but kiddlets had a phobia of spice so I keep it mellow - for now.



Set it to low for 8 hours and sit back. Ok, sit back doesn't last long in this house. I'm planning for school and over seeing chores getting done.



The chicken is done when it is falling apart cooked.



I had volunteers this time for shredding the breasts, and I did the whole chicken.



The chicken breasts were a little dryer and not as easy to shred, but the whole chicken, while juicier and easier to shred it yielded less than 2 lbs of meat.



The shredded meat was divided into freezer bags at about 1 lb per bag (less for the meat from the whole chicken).



Now I have 5 bags of shredded chicken in the freezer for future meals. I think our first one shall be chicken enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment